World Retail Congress 2014
Since its launch in 2007, the World Retail Congress has become the annual platform for thousands of retail industry directors from over 50 countries to come together at the highest level to discuss and point the way forward on global critical issues. Taking place 29th Sept-1st October at the CNIT in Paris this year will see 1500+ retail CEOs, Chairmen, Presidents and Managing Directors meet to discuss the upcoming strategic retail opportunities.
“World Retail Congress is the biggest convention of our industry’s leading stalwarts and it provides exciting opportunities to network. With the opening up of the global marketplace and the rapid proliferation of online retail formats, the industry today is more competitive and dynamic. I am excited to be here this year and look forward to great insightful sessions by the leaders of our industry.”
Sanjeev Mohanty, Managing Director, Benetton India
Each year, the Congress team undertakes rigorous and extensive research amongst senior retailers and other leading industry experts to gauge the most informed opinions on what are the issues currently shaping retailing. This year’s Advisory Board includes CEOs and Managing Directors from John Lewis, X5, Tesco, SPAR, El Corte Ingles, Bata, Deloitte, COOP and many more.
In developing the programme for the 2014 World Retail Congress, it has been striking that the retail mood around the world is unified in a belief that the industry is facing growing “disruption”. This word is being used in several contexts: disruptive technologies; disruptive business models; disruptive new entrants to the market and disruptive macro conditions but all of them impacting on retailing.
For this reason, the over-arching theme for the 2014 World Retail Congress is: “Retailing in an age of disruption”. Key topics that will be explored include:
- The Retail Disruptors - Understanding the new breed of agile, innovative retailers
- Millennial Shoppers - Getting to grips with this new customer demographic
- Re-defining customer experience - Meeting the ‘I need it now’ culture
- Emerging Markets - New growth market opportunities
- Innovative operating models - Re-designing business culture and structure
Over 165 expert speakers will be sharing their insight and experience into how they will be developing their strategy to respond to retailing in this era of disruption. Our speakers include:
- Andy Street, Managing Director, John Lewis
- Mike Gould, Chairman, Bloomingdale’s
- Ayana Parsons, Head of Retail, World Economic Forum
- William Fung, Group Chairman, Li & Fung
- Ken Murphy, Managing Director, International & Brands, Health and Beauty Division, Alliance Boots
- Ray Kelvin, Founder and CEO, Ted Baker
- Garry Hogarth, Chief Executive Officer, Agent Provocateur
- Joe Tripodi, Global CMO, The Coca-Cola Company
- Robin Terrell, Group Multi-Channel Director, Tesco
- Manel Jadraque, CEO, Desigual
- Tito Costa, Founder & Managing Director, ZALORA
- Jeremy Hodara, Co-Founder and CEO, Jumia
- Olivier Mathiot, Co-Founder and CEO, PriceMinister (part of the Rakuten Group)
- Sanjeev Mohanty, Managing Director, Benetton India
- Mukesh Bansal, Founder and CEO, Myntra.com
- Sudhitham Chirathivat, Former Executive Chairman, Central Group
- Steve Robinson, CEO, ACHICA.com
- Ning Li, Co-Founder & CEO, Made.com
- Robin Philips, eCommerce director, Waitrose
Alongside this, the congress offers 15+ hours of dedicated networking where face-to-face meetings can be arranged and lasting business partnerships established with the global retail elite. For a senior retailer, there are very few opportunities to mix with your peers and to make numerous new contacts as well as having conversations with other executives tackling the same problems and issues. The shared learnings to be gained from the Congress are immense.